Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

7 Spring Colors For Your Kitchen

IT'S THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING!

Whether you are designing a new kitchen or renovating an existing one, the color of the walls is an important element which will have a big effect on the overall design.

Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing your colors.
 ~ Is the kitchen open plan to the rest of the home?
 ~ Does the kitchen get plenty or no natural light?
 ~ Is painting the existing cabinets an option?
 ~ Do not ignore the color of the cabinets, floors and back splashes, it all needs to work together!
 ~ Do you have to work around existing soft furnishings?

Below are some of my favorite spring colors and paint chips. I have included some great links from Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams at the end of the post to help you along the way!

Designed by Architect Gil Schafer & color consultant Eve Ashcraft
This fresh and inviting kitchen is mostly white, the apple green interiors sets off the white china beautifully. The green color is carried through onto the bench seat cushions in the dining area.

Benjamin Moore White Ice

Benjamin Moore Apple Green

Designed by Lindsey Coral Harper


Nothing says Spring like yellow!
The walls are Benjamin Moore's Inner Glow. The table is a tangy citric lemon which if too bright for your tastes could also look nice in gray or white.
Benjamin Moore Inner Glow
Benjamin Moore Gray Owl as an alternative color for the table.



Jamie Gottschall's Pennsylvania Kitchen
Benjamin Moore Chocolate Candy Brown
Try Benjamin Moore Classic Brown for a deeper color

What do you think of this "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" inspired kitchen? The wall color ties in nicely with the checkered brown & white floor and with the accessories above the mantle.


Give your existing cabinets a new lease of life. Benjamin Moore's Dove White was used in this kitchen, and the walls are grass-green (source unknown).

Benjamin Moore Dove White

Benjamin Moore Pear Green


Here is another green wall color although much paler by comparison. I find greens and blues to be very usable colors for the kitchen. Both these colors go equally well with dark and light wood alike.
Sherwin Williams Gleeful


I love the way they extended the blue paint to the ceiling, it gives an airy feeling making this galley kitchen feel bigger.
Benjamin Moore Antiguan Skies
Benjamin Moore Clear Skies


Designed by Kathy Smith

Neutrals reign in this traditional kitchen. The cabinets and the walls are Farrow & Ball's Biscuit and the ceiling cornice and ceiling are painted Lime White also by Farrow & Ball.

Farrow & Ball Lime White
For an alternative to Farrow & Ball maybe try French Toast by BM , image via wendihiebert.com

When choosing paint, buy sample pots first and paint large squares in different parts of the room and study them at different times of the day in natural light and artificial light. It may be a good time to see what type of bulbs you are using, some give off a yellow light which will change the color of the walls substantially.

Benjamin Moore and other paint manufacturers have some online tools to get you started like the Personal Color Viewer (R) CLICK HERE!

See GREAT COLOR TIPS HERE from Sherwin-Williams on how to choose Interior Paint Colors.

Choosing colors is no easy feat and I would always recommend hiring a color consultant or interior designer to help you avoid costly mistakes.

I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR, SPRING IS THE TIME OF NEW BEGINNINGS, ENJOY YOURS! 
~D~ 

7 comments:

  1. Our kitchen is painted a light grey at the moment but we have plans to refurbish it soon. I think with all the cooking in our house I wouldn't trust us with too much White! I loved the green and orange though, so lovely and spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pru!
      I love grays but I can understand the urge to paint! I get it all the time!
      Tie in with existing soft furnishings or accessories, I am sure you have great taste! Have a great Sunday xoxo

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! I wish you was close to where I live. I love all of these kitchens. My entire house needs a update and I don't know how or where to start. After a illness I had I lossed all of my sense of decoration. But I just had to tell you I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'd like to help if I can! Email me with more details.
      ~D~

      Delete
  3. Why does everyone pain their cabinets? I have a lot of wood in my house and love it but need to brighten up things more. I like the architectural details above the cabinets but wonder how to tie them into my current kitchen because there is a soffit involved. You have great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carol,
    I removed 1 comment as it was a duplicate... Thanks for reading and commenting.
    I too love wood cabinets, it was just coincidence that the kitchens featured are painted.
    If you want to share a picture of your kitchen, I may be able to help you brighten up your space!
    ~D~

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment~ I'd really love to know you were here!